Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

ALAN PRICE SET - I PUT A SPELL ON YOU


It always surprises me how many UK groups "got" how to play r&b/ soul music, while white American groups just never really got it.

After leaving the Animals in mid-1965, organist Alan Price (that's him on "House Of The Rising Sun")started his own group.

I might venture to say that this is my favorite version of this song. While Screamin' Jay Hawkins original is unhinged and wild, this version is moody and magnificent.

THIS is mod, baby!

from 1966...

ALAN PRICE SET - I PUT A SPELL ON YOU

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Derek--- great stuff! I've always enjoyed Alan Price's work (House That Jack Built, O Lucky Man soundtrack etc) As I recall, he was one of the first folks to champion the songwriting of Randy Newman.

The Wolfmen said...

There's a version by The Wolfmen and Primal Scream - you know. It's on Youtube...

michael-j said...

this has long been one of my favourite versions, picked this up when only starting out buying records, and never really seen it get the mentions it deservers...

Anonymous said...

when i first hear this in 1966 i thought it was eric burdon doing the vocal on it, of course i found out that wasn't the case at all. i love the direction alan price took with the record (completely different than screamin' jay's original) and it prompted me to not only obtain the single, but the album on which the song appeared.

frankenotter@juno.com