Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Monday, December 7, 2009

BONGI & JUDY - RUNNING OUT


This record, while cut and released in 1967, has a sound that to my ears is much more 1970-71. The ladies behind it have very interesting lineage; Bongi (Makeba) was the daughter of African singing legend Miriam Makeba (Bongi died tragically in 1985) and Judy (White) is daughter of folk/ blues/ jazz legend Josh White.

The vocal duet on this record is riveting, and I really dig the proto-funk arrangement. It's also no surprise that the song, which is full of power and dynamics is from the pens of another superb duo...Ashford & Simpson!

from 1967...

BONGI & JUDY - RUNNING OUT

1 comment:

Darcy said...

I love Judy's voice (as you may be aware if you have caught my JW posts on Feel It). Too bad she disappeared from the soul scene.

Thanks for posting this one, it had evaded my radar.