Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

THE NEWS - THE ENTERTAINER


Here's a superb version of Tony Clarke's classic (and also a past 45 of the day) from a UK group featuring Pete Miller (aka Big Boy Pete) on guitar. The News 45 seems to have been a one-off by this group (probably a studio concoction just for this record). Pete has had a long career as both a musician and producer/ engineer (he has run a studio in San Francisco for over 30 years, apparently).

I've been a real sucker as of late for these British cover versions of American soul hits, and as this is one of my all time favorite songs, it seems a logical choice to start introducing more of them to this blog. Something about the English; they have embraced and cultivated American soul and r&b in such a loving way that has helped keep the music alive; not only through the northern soul scene but all through the sixties when major and minor groups on the mod front sought out obscure 45's and learned these great songs. Add to that the always excellent productions and top notch musicianship and we have some truly winning records, which, like this one, there is very little information about adding an air of exciting mystery to the whole thing.

from 1966...

THE NEWS - THE ENTERTAINER

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice song. Thanks for sharing. Would you mind uploading the B-side? I'd love to hear it.

Cheers.

Derek See said...

Hi; I would if I could, but I have to watch my bandwidth. Email me and I can send it to you that way. It's a nice cover of the Drifters "I Count The Tears".

brianbrora said...

Thanks for the nice comments about us Brits! It's a pretty good cover - quite faithful to the original. PS. If you or your readers look at my own blog, there may be something you like!!.

Anonymous said...

Careful with the Anglophilia. You'll be drinking tea and pints next!

Thanks for all the good stuff.
Cheers Dave

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I only had a stream ripped version.

A Brit !

elusive said...

nice one! thank you

Derek See said...

I drink PLENTY of pints, Dave!

gudge said...

I have the original acate of the The News The Entertainer Chris Gudgin

gudge said...

I have the orignal acetate of The News The Entertainer!!!

Derek See said...

thats VERY cool; I'm envious!!!!!