Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

SHIRLEY LAWSON - ONE MORE CHANCE


Also known as Shirley Walker, Shirley was the lead singer of the Curtis Mayfield-produced FAscinations (I've featured a few of their sides in the past). Being as Duke was a Texas based label, perhaps she lived there BEFORE waxing the Fascinations sides with Curtis? I don't know, but if anyone does, I would love to know more of her story.

This is a beautiful, anthemic number that pushes higher and higher into the stars...

from 1966...

1 comment:

ana-b said...

I don't know anything specific about Shirley Lawson, but I thought it worth saying that quite a few recordings issued by Duke/Peacock/Back Beat weren't recorded in Houston.

I believe a number of Bobby Bland sides were cut in Chicago, almost all O.V. Wright's were recorded in Memphis with Willie Mitchell, Jeanette Williams recorded in Detroit, etc.